Sunday, January 18, 2009

Baptist Round 3, Day 2







Margaret and I decided to switch places this weekend. While she continued to make progress in her health, I started to feel sick and short of breath. I started feeling ill Friday evening---pain in my chest area, especially when I would take a deep breath and a low grade fever. All day Saturday I stayed in bed and tried to get extra rest to see if that would help, but that made the heaving breathing even harder. So I finally had to call Dr. B., which I hated to do. I feel like I need to send him to Hawaii or the Caribbean after all of the phone calls and special visits to the hospital he has made.

I met Dr. B. in the triage once again in tears (5th visit)---I HATE THE TRIAGE!!! After a CT Scan of my chest, an ultrasound of the veins in my legs, and an Echo Cardiogram, Dr. B. decided that I just have some lingering fluid in my lungs, which is affecting my breathing. It's name is Pulmonary Edema. Luckily, I don't have any heart issues or blood clots. So we are trying to flush my body of all of the excess fluids.

Wade and I are so tired of living at Baptist Hospital. It is a nice facility, but we have almost seen all of the rooms in the triage, labor and delivery, and the ante-partum areas. So hopefully we will get out of here for good tomorrow!

Margaret on the other hand is doing well! She is completely breathing on her own and had her IV removed today. Saturday she took her first bottle. The nurses will slowly introduce the bottles. She is not quite ready to take them exclusively, so the tube is still in for feedings. On Friday at 11:43 A.M. we celebrated her one week old birthday. We sang Happy Birthday to her and gave her a (stuffed) birthday donut from Aunt Lolly (my sister Laura).

Enjoy some of the latest pictures. I will let you know if we can go home tomorrow. Please pray for my lungs now and sweet Wade (he probably needs it more than both of his girls). The funny thing is that Margaret and I basically had the same problem---luckily I didn't have to go on the vent! Take care!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

She is so great, you guys. Praying for all three of you.

Isaac, Jennifer, Bella and Lola

Anonymous said...

I love she got her donut on her one week birthday! And I love the bow! So stylish! Stay strong. We are cheering for all three you from NC! Love you dearly,
Laura
P.S. Hudson and Charlie were the first to notice the donut in Margaret's picture...go figure!

Linsay said...

Back again? Hope you are feeling better and get to get out of there today! We're thinking of and praying for all three of you constantly. So happy to hear Margaret is continuing to progress--the three of you will be home together before you know it. Take care and seriously, anything we can do...
Love much,
Lins

Craig said...

Melissa and Wade,
Just received the wonderful news of Margaret Belle's arrival from the family today. I am so thrilled for you and amazed by your courage throughout this journey. Just reading the blog today has left me in tears of joy, and I can't wait to meet Miss Margaret Belle next time we are in town. Keep up the great progress, and Wade (cous), you keep taking good care of your beautiful girls!

Love,
Craig, Rob and Charlie Friedrich

Anonymous said...

melissa, she is precious! caroline and i just looked at all the pictures. caroline says she "looks like a margaret!". she looks healthy and beautiful! we are so happy to see her! praying for your health, little sweet margaret and wade :) love, the rodgers

Anonymous said...

Melissa & Wade,

Congratulations on your beautiful daughter! I came across this and wanted to share it with you:
Every baby is a miracle, and your baby has been really blessed-by having parents like you. Your child will know what it is like to grow up being loved and cared for by special people. And you, in turn will know the joy of receiving a child’s unconditional love. –Anonymous.

Many Blessings!
Tamara & Jason

Anonymous said...

Okay, So you guys are in the running for Maternity Poster Family for Baptist Hospital!!! ....especially since you can give the complete tour! I bet Margaret will be able to give her own P.R. spill soon.
However, we are praying that you will come home quickly and can gain strength for mothering.
Don't you love her hair after a bath? She is beautiful.
Rest well, friend.
Ellen

Anonymous said...

Melissa and Wade,

I hope you don't mind- I happened upon your blog and read your story. What a journey you two have had! It brought tears to my eyes in many places. Please know that you and sweet baby Margaret are in my prayers! I hope you will all get to be home together very soon!

Libby Isele Johnson