Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Kangaroo Care

Peek-a-boo! I love my warm isolette!

Daddy loves daughter!


Mommy loves Kangaroo Care!

Comfy Spot

Wade and I are home again--well, home at my parents' house. Hopefully, we will return to our house later this weekend to give my parents a break and start cleaning our home for Margaret's arrival in a couple of weeks.

We left the hospital yesterday afternoon after my last round of IV antibiotics. Now the docs think that I either had a mild case of pulmonary edema or the early stages of pneumonia. Either way I am feeling much better and will hopefully get all of the excess fluid out of my lungs and body soon.

Today I gave Margaret 'kangaroo care' (what you see in the picture). It is strongly recommended for newborns, especially premature babies. Another name for it is skin-to-skin, and it encourages bonding between mother/ father and baby. It also reminds Margaret of her time in the womb.

I loved it! It was such an amazing feeling to have my baby girl so close again and feel her warm little body. I was able to study her beautiful fingers--so long and delicate! I was able to kiss her little forehead and rock her to sleep! Hopefully Wade will get to give Margaret kangaroo care tonight.

It is easy to start feeling sorry for yourself when you think of all of the hours that you have missed holding your newborn baby because she is in the NICU, but I continue to feel blessed because she is alive and here! People try to warn me and Wade about sleepless nights and hours of crying and feeding. They don't understand---we don't care. Of course, we are going to be exhausted, and it will be hard. However, we will have a daughter in our lives to hold, kiss, share, etc. There really couldn't be a better gift! That is what James taught us---to never take your blessings for granted, to remember what is really important in life, and how to really love one another!

10 comments:

Danielle said...

I love the new pictures. She is just a doll. So glad you are out of the hospital now. How wonderful to see you and Margaret cuddled up together. There is nothing like having their toasty skin next to yours! I know it is frustrating that you can hold her every second like most other moms. Maybe it is better to think you are getting EXTRA time with her that most people have to wait 8 more weeks for!!! :) I know the NICU is not ideal and hard on you and Wade, but she will be out of there before you know it.
Thinking of you often and praying for your sweet family.
Much love...

Anonymous said...

How BEAUTIFUL! You too, Wade! Glad you are better too, Melissa. Love and prayers,
Lynn

Anonymous said...

Margaret Belle is beautiful!!!

Anonymous said...

Seeing you snuggling precious Margaret brings tears to my eyes! God is so good! Glad you're feeling better. Have fun feathering the nest for that sweet angel's arrival home.
Love, Jerry and Cindy

Anonymous said...

Melissa and Wade,
We are feeling so blessed to see the two of you with your precious, Margaret Belle. She is such a special gift from God. We love the way you look when you hold her - it is that overwhelming joy. We love you so much. Mom and Dad B.

Anonymous said...

Melissa and Wade~ I must admit that Mom and I love checking your blog each morning together..going through each photo of BEAUTIFUL Margaret... reading every word. Thank you for sharing it with us and keeping us up to date. Know that we all continue to think about and pray for the three of you. We are so proud of you and your devotion and courage.
With love, Anna Russell

Linsay said...

She's just precious! Glad you're "home" and feeling better!

Anonymous said...

Precious pictures. Thank you for sharing them with us. I am so glad and grateful you are home and feeling better. Enjoy getting everything ready for your little "joey."

Thanking God,
Ellen

Unknown said...

Melissa! This is Lauren Pfister, Cindy's daughter. I just wanted to let ya'll know that we are so excited for you guys! What an incredible gift and physical expression of God's amazing faithfulness! I'm really happy for you guys! Enjoy these sweet times!

Kathy said...

Dear Melissa and Wade,
I wept as I read your blog. Your Mom gave me the website. I am so happy that you and Margaret are healthy & doing well. Keep up the good work. I found that I got used to the exhaustion. Please tell your Dad to e-mail me his new e-mail address. My last e-mail came back. Love, Kathy Wells
JCW41@aol.com