Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Roller-coaster

Mommy meets Margaret Belle!

Daddy's finger next to his favorite little foot!
Wade and I woke up this morning to the Neonatologist (Dr. P.) entering the room. We were hoping to never see a neonatologist appear in our hospital room (feels like bedroom now), because an appearance means that Margaret Belle is not doing well. Anyway for a split second Wade and I worried that something awful had happened to Margaret, but Dr. P. informed us that they would need to put Margaret on a ventilator to assist her in breathing. The word ventilator really scared us. We knew that adding that instrument meant that her lungs were not strong enough to breathe on their own, but Dr. P. assured us that this step was necessary. Margaret Belle needed a break. She had worked so hard in the last few days to breathe on her own, and her lungs just were not ready for all of that work.

After our initial reaction of fear and anxiety, we decided that this was just another bump in the road. Margaret Belle's journey is not predictable, and we need to calm down and be patient. The ventilator just prolongs our chance to hold and feed her, but we want to give her lungs enough time to mature and prepare for the rigorous job of breathing.

Later in the day, Dr. P. showed us her chest x-rays over the past few days, so that we could see why she needed the ventilator's assistance. It was obvious, and Dr. P. also explained what the ventilator would do and how they would slowly take her off of it in the next few days. Dr. P. was already impressed with Margaret's response to the ventilator. She was breathing so much easier and her oxygen percentage was dropping rapidly. So Margaret spent most of the day sleeping peacefully and resting those lungs. Her heart continues to look great, and her brain scan looks perfectly normal.

So we will continue to pray for her little lungs. Hopefully in the next week we will get to hold our precious angel. I think that is what I long to do more than anything. I understand that it might be awhile until I get to feed her, but hopefully we will hold her soon.

Thank you for all of your prayers and comments. Wade and I look forward to reading them every day. My health is okay---bp is up, but I think that is a little expected after all that we have been through in the last 24 hours---what an emotional roller-coaster!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a sweet picture of your first meeting after she arrived!! I am continually amazed at your strength that God has given you and Wade. can't imagine how frustrated you must get on board this roller coaster. I will pray that you will soon be able to hold her and that she will continue to grow and mature. You are an AMAZING mom, melissa, and she is blessed to have the both of you as parents. love, tricia

Anonymous said...

It was great to hear your voice ... Steve and I had special prayer time for Margaret late last night. You all are on my heart all day... and God is holding you guys close. I am praying that you will be able to hold your little girl soon too. Let me know when you are ready for a hot caramel cider :) I could always leave it at the nurse's station for you to pick up between baby visits! Love you lots,
Lynn

Linsay said...

I was anxiously awaiting this post! John said he spoke with Wade yesterday and that Margaret was on the ventilator. I've been thinking of all of you constantly and can't wait to see you guys and the day that we can meet little Margaret. Go little lungs, go!
Much love!

Brandie said...

Hi. Ya'll don't know me, but I've been following your blog for about 2-3 months now. It was a blessing to see that your baby girl was born and doing pretty good. I read your post the other night with the video clip, and my eyes welled up with tears watching Margaret breath. I prayed for her right then and you and your husband. My little Mason had already gone to bed and after watching the clip I had to go give him bedtime sugars one more time and thank God for his health. My prayers are still with you. I can't imagine what both of you are feeling during this time, but it sounds like you both have strong faith with the Lord. May He put his healing hand over Margaret and His comforting hand over both of you.
Your New Blog Friend,
Brandie

Anonymous said...

hey Melissa and Wade...went to see Janet on Fri and so am now catching up and realizing you are still in the hospital....I'm sorry to hear about the latest bump but I pray it will be just that and short lived...I know you are dying to hold her...what a sweet face and love the pictures!! I am so glad she's here and in the best of hands. We are all praying for you and think about you all the time. God bless you, Wade and Margaret!!!!xoxoxox

Anonymous said...

That last comment would be from Ann....

Unknown said...

She is the most beautiful baby girl I've ever seen! I mean, I know you're hot and Wade is pretty handsome-but I never expected such a gorgeous baby. I can't wait to meet her someday. I love you guys so much! Know that Margaret Belle is in my thoughts and prayers. She really is a beauty! Watch out boys, we got a heartbreaker on our hands! Love, Marie :)

Anonymous said...

Melissa - Merritt Goodman was 33.5 weeks and they were not able to stop my labor and give me the steroids for her lungs - so she was born on a Thurs night then put on the vent on Fri afternoon - she got off the vent on Wed - yes when I actually got to hold her instead of just petting her. On Jan. 22 she will be 22 years old and is in her last semester of college - student teaching in a 3rd grade classroom! TIme goes very fast - just be patient and enjoy the journey - Baptist did a great job for us and I am sure they will for you and your family too - even when you have to go home and leave her in the hospital - Merritt stayed about 2 weeks and yes I could not drive and a friend would drop me off in icy yucky weather! Hang in there - we are all praying and cheering all of you on. love missy

Anonymous said...

I am praying for that sweet girl's lungs and asking God to help her rest peacefully and grow stronger.
And asking our gracious God to help her parents rest peacefully, too.
I bet Margaret is just laying there dreaming of her mom and dad holding her!
What a great testimony from Missy! Hang on to the peace that passes all understanding.
Love you, Ellen

Anonymous said...

Melissa and Wade- I wish you could have seen all of the tons and tons of happy tears that were shed on the boat when everyone heard that Margaret Belle was here. There is really no way to describe it, and I'm sure you have heard/will hear all about it. I bet those tears are still coming, of course. I'm convinced that everyone else was thinking, "Who are all these loud Nashville people, and why are they all sobbing?!" hehe. Just wanted to tell you both here (on your blog!) how much we love you and how many prayers for Margaret's lungs and health--and Melissa's recovery and health--are coming your way from the Kelly family. Her little face looks so much like the two of you--to see Wade's hand on her back and to hear your voice...there is nothing better, or more 'of God' in the world. Can't wait to meet her. And can't wait to hear of the first time you get to hold her. Here's to much hope and prayer that it is so soon....With oodles of love and congratulations ~AR

Anonymous said...

Melissa,

Margaret Belle is a beautiful little girl...your students are so excited she is here and have been praying for you and Margaret every day at school I am sure.

I am hopeful that the next post we read from you says, "they took Margaret off the ventilator today!"

Much love to you, Wade and Margaret.

All the Gagliones!