Thursday, January 1, 2009

Home Sweet Baptist

Happy 2009!!! Wade, Baby, and I made it to 2009, and we are thrilled! However, we decided to ring in the new year in the hospital. Yesterday was a pretty low-key, typical day--watching football, eating great meals, playing math computer games with my adorable and bright nephew, and watching more football. During Dick Clark's New Year's Special, I started to notice that I was having a few uncomfortable contractions---they were a little too close together and little too uncomfortable. So I decided to go ahead and take my medicine and test my blood pressure. Unfortunately, my bp was a little higher compared to my weekly trend. Therefore, I decided to wait a few minutes and try checking a second time. Once again, both numbers were higher. I felt awful about calling Dr. B. at 10 PM on New Year's Eve, but I knew he would want me to considering those painful contractions and my bp.

Minutes later, Dr. B. was recommending that I come on in to Baptist to monitor the baby, the contractions, my urine, blood, and blood pressure. Trip number 3 to the triage was frightening, because I hadn't felt contractions like this since losing James. Plus, I didn't know if that meant my placenta was about to abrupt like last time or if I was just experiencing a preterm labor. The monitoring of the baby proved that she was doing well and that I was having real contractions. My bp was high but pretty typical for a triage visit, and my urine was clear of protein. The blood-work came back normal, except for the Uric Acid level; it was a little elevated. (Don't ask me what that means, because I don't know.) Dr. B. said it was something to watch but nothing too concerning. The nurse also administered a Fetal Fibronectin Test (fFN). This test apparently can predict whether I will go into labor in the next two weeks. It came back negative, which is a good thing; however, it has more to do with contractions and nothing to do with bp or preeclampsia.

Needless-to-say it was a long evening. Dr. B. came by our triage room around 12:30 AM and evaluated the tests. Then he told us that we would be admitted to the hospital and stay for at least a few days to monitor my bp, contractions, urine, and blood-work. He also wanted to double my dose of procardia. Happy New Year!!!

I didn't sleep much last night, because I had an IV administered, started a 24 hour urine test, and had the contractions and baby's heartbeat monitored all night long. The procardia luckily does double duty; it helps with bp and slows contractions. It definitely did it's job, because in the morning my bp was lower and the contractions were gone. Therefore, Dr. B. said I could stop the IV fluids. He also wanted to give me another steroid shot to just make sure the baby's lungs were ready for delivery. He said my future in the hospital and the delivery of our little girl would depend a great deal on this 24 hour urine test. Friday morning we will know what will happen next. Dr. K. entered the room shortly after Dr. B. and once again confirmed the facts. She also told me that I would have an ultrasound later that morning.

After the dreaded steroid shot, I went in for the ultrasound. The baby is still breech, practicing her breathing, has a great heartbeat, and measures well. She is about 3 pounds, 6 ounces. Did I mention that she is also adorable?

So many things could happen tomorrow. The doctors will either decide to send us home, keep us here for the remainder of the pregnancy, or set a date to deliver this baby. Wade and I both just want the best for our little angel, even if it means she has to come weeks early and visit the NICU. We know she is in God's hands and has the best team of doctors and nurses here at Baptist to care for her. Continue to pray for our 2009 sweetheart. Hopefully by Valentine's Day we will have a new little love at home!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And I thought WE were up late! We are praying that God will continue to bless you with peace, the doctors with wisdom, and sweetie-pie with strength! I hope you were able to rest better this afternoon. Love to you all...

Lynn D

maximumwoltage said...

Praying for the best for you and Baby Doll Rick. You could name her "Dolly Rick".. That would have nice ring....

Heidi