Thursday, January 15, 2009

Ventilator Free












Margaret Belle had a wonderful day! She is off of the ventilator, she opened her eyes for Mommy and Daddy, and Daddy was allowed to change a diaper this afternoon (I'm so jealous!!!). Around 9 am this morning the nurses removed her ventilator and monitored her closely to see how she would respond. They were able to keep her oxygen down at 21%, which is the normal percentage for room breathing. Her vapotherm is set at 4 liters. (She was at 7 liters at 65% earlier in the week, so this is great news!) She continues to bask in the bili-lite, but hopefully that will be removed in the next day or so.

Her plan is to move into an enclosed isolette this evening. Mommy and Daddy will be there to witness this move, because nurse Bonnie said this would be the best time for us to get an opportunity to hold her. The nurses also removed the tube into her umbilical cord. For the last two days they have been feeding her breast milk through a tube in her mouth, which is connected straight to her stomach. I can't wait for the day that I will be able to hold and feed her at the same time. (I try not to get too greedy, but it is so hard when you see other moms nursing their babies in the NICU!)

I have not fallen off the face of the earth--I promise! The pain from my incision and engorgement has taken over my body, and it is all I can do to pump every 2 hours, sleep, eat, and travel down to the Baptist NICU. I hate to take this pain medication because it makes me drowsy, but like Dr. B. and the nurses said this is not the time to try and be a martyr. I should be up for more visitors and phone calls soon. Wade and I are back at my parents' house for now. We might try to go home this weekend. However, it is just easier for me to live here for now, especially since I am not allowed to drive for another week and Wade is at work.

Well we will definitely tape tonight's visit, if we can. Thank you again for all of your prayers. Margaret has no idea how many people already love her and pray for her daily! We are all so blessed to have each other during these moments of fear and celebration! Take care!



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We're having a party tonight in honor of Margaret Belle and her great day...complete with ice cream and sprinkles!! We were so happy to hear of all the good news today...praise God! And so glad she is getting her Mommy's milk. You'll be holding and nursing her before you know it! Have fun tonight with sweet Margaret!
Love you three,
Laura, Michael, Hudson and Charlie

Anonymous said...

Yea!!!! That little margaret is a fighter, go figure!! I am sooo excited for the 3 of you that today was good. God is so good to give you these little moments of excitement and steps towards normalcy. So glad your milk is in in full force! I know you must be exhausted, but I will pray for energy and strength for you. Love you and know that we are praying for margaret daily!! Lucy prayed for baby margaret last night before going to bed:) thanks for posting more pics. I could look at them all day! love ,
tricia

Anonymous said...

So glad you all had a good day!!! and happy to hear she's getting her mother's milk!!!!pump away!! She looks so sweet and I hope you get to hold her soon. I hope you are getting your rest and feel better soon. We are all so excited for you and can't wait til you are all at home together!! Love to all...xoxo Ann